Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Kielbasa with Beer and Onions

This is one of those meals that you didn't know you were craving until you take the first bite, then you don't know how you haven't been eating this for the last week.

This meal also reminds me of a great story of my Nana. She was in active labor with my uncle, her fifth child, and just had to finish her sauerkraut, kielbasa and quart of beer. (Yuengling of course; and it was 1960...women still drank and smoked while pregnant.) I'm not a big fan of sauerkraut so I substitute onions for it and incorporated the beer in a pregnancy friendly way. Enjoy!

Oh and if you're wondering what a Yuengling is...it's a local lager. It's the oldest brewery in America and based right in Pottsville, PA. My grandparents lived in the town and my Nana actually went to grade school across the street for the brewery. I'm pretty particular about my beer and Yuengling is one of my favorites.



Ingredients
6 kielbasa links
3 small yellow onions, sliced
1 tbsp butter
1 Yuengling or another lager if you're not privy to this delicious beer
6 potato rolls

Directions
In a large, deep pan add the butter, kielbasa and onions. Once the kielbasa and onions are brown add the beer. Bring to a boil and then turn heat down so the beer simmers. Simmer the beer until it becomes thick to an almost syrup like consistency; about 20-30 minutes.

Just before serving kielbasa lightly toast the rolls. Place each link on a roll and equally divide the onions and sauce amongst the 6 rolls. I add a slice of American cheese to my sandwich and topped it with yellow mustard. Out of this world!

No comments:

Post a Comment